Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best defense combination

Sword What is the best defense combination

First of all, i haven't found a thread with this subject, which is surprising, so if anybody has a link to one, just post it here.

Now, to my question. I've been doing some calculations in space/defensive power ratios and my conclusion is that (apart from building a wall that will touch the sky and adding a tower) the best defensive set up is a bunch of charriots. Now, i wonder two things.

1. Is that correct assessment?
    2. Should i mix units for a syngery effect or just go plainly all-chariot constellation?

1. Land offense. = 3,500 farm space - 885 = 2,615 remaining.

You will want about 40-50 LS, 100 fast transports, and the actual land units will depend on what your enemies defend with the most.

2. LS and bireme build. = 3,500 - 850 = 2,650

330 biremes OR 265 LS.

3. Land wall. = 3,500 - 845 = 2,655 remaining.

125 fast transports.
    990 swordsmen.
    310 archers.
    700 hoplites.

This is a perfectly balanced defense, with a preference towards blunt and ranged defense.

I'm not sure if we understood each other. I'm not talking about me attacking but me being the one to defend. I'd like to set up a set of defensive units so i don't loose my city. My game style is peaceful and i rarely attack others. So, unit transports shouldn't be needed, should they? Please advise.

Look at the 3rd one in the first post.

I gave you 4 examples of how to specialize a city.

1) Navy Off.
    2) Navy Def.
    3) Land Off.
    4) Land Def.

I'm sorry - i feel retarded right now. I only see three setups. Am i going blind?!

Also, i don't understand why i need fast transports for land defense. I thought that as long i defend i won't need any naval force.

Thanks for the help, of course. Keep it coming!

I don't stay in the exact same place all the time, so I could be any where.

the ships are so you can send the support to other cities unless you're a selfish D**k

Hahaha, i didn't think of that at all. Darn, maybe i AM a selfish person. Very good point - thanks! Never the less, i didn't see a fourth strategy in the answer and i see no chariots. Aren't they the best defense unit (per space counted)?
    Last edited by fingolfin; 13.08.12 at 21:39. Reason: removed masked profanity

Quote Originally Posted by Chamster View Post
    my conclusion is that (apart from building a wall that will touch the sky and adding a tower) the best defensive set up is a bunch of charriots. Now, i wonder two things.

1. Is that correct assessment?
    no, it's not (but good to see that you were thinking about it at least). in fact, chariots are not a part of an efficient defence at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamster View Post
    2. Should i mix units for a syngery effect or just go plainly all-chariot constellation?
    a mix is definitely better, unless your enemies are very uncreative and only ever attack with one unit type, in which just build whichever defenders are the best defenders against that attack type per capita. but, if you don't know what units you will be attacked with then you'll want a balanced defence.

Quote Originally Posted by WAVEBREAKER View Post
    125 fast transports.
    990 swordsmen.
    310 archers.
    700 hoplites.

This is a perfectly balanced defense, with a preference towards blunt and ranged defense.
    that may be a balanced defence, but perfect? not really that defence comes in at 43.55 defence per capita, which is good but not perfect.

the best defence ratio i've come across was aurave's mix of
    70 / 27 / 63
    swords/archers/hops
    (and 10 fast trans with bunks to carry them), which comes in at about 44.6 def per capita. also not perfect, but a bit better

if you wanna see the maths behind it (and possibly try work out your own ratio which works out even better) then PM me
    warning:

you will have to know about simultaneous equations
    (╯°□°)╯︵ :

sig by dogukankurt

Quote Originally Posted by Pythagorus View Post
    the best defence ratio i've come across was aurave's mix of
    70 / 27 / 63
    swords/archers/hops
    (and 10 fast trans with bunks to carry them), which comes in at about 44.6 def per capita.
    All those units are available quite early in the game. I would expect the best units to be far up into the research tree... I'm not saying you are wrong - i'm saying that i'm surprised. Are the hight level units best for offence, instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Pythagorus View Post
    if you wanna see the maths behind it (and possibly try work out your own ratio which works out even better) then PM me
    warning:

you will have to know about simultaneous equations
    I've got a M.Sc. in Mathematical Statistics, so i think i can manage an equation system, haha.
    I'd be pretty satisfied with a ratio over 40, so both your and his suggestions are hreat. Nevertheless , if you have a way to increase it even more, i'd like to hear about it.

What did you mean by "PM me"? Make you a prime minister? Of what? And how?!

Who Knows?!?!?? (I suppose in the middle of nowhere)

Guys, now that you're talking about defense, can you give me a plan that includes also defensive mythical units? I mean a mixture/combination of land troops and mythical units that can be effective and defend well against a possible, heavy attack...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast