Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Security Captcha

Default Security Captcha

While I applaud grepolis for trying to stop botters, this is somewhat annoying. Since the patch I've already been asked to put in security captcha(sp) 3 times. All I am doing is farming while at work and I keep getting these. I've had two close calls on the timer because I generally tab over to do work in between farms.

What is the penalty for not putting in the answer in time? Ban?

Maybe I missed more information on this, so if I did, please just point me in the right direction.

To attempt to prevent automations in the game, players are prompted to enter a CAPTCHA periodically. The information on how, why and when is not in the public domain I am afraid (Even mods are not privy to such information). However no need to be worried just enter the answer to the question and carry on as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Saska View Post
    To attempt to prevent automations in the game, players are prompted to enter a CAPTCHA periodically. The information on how, why and when is not in the public domain I am afraid (Even mods are not privy to such information). However no need to be worried just enter the answer to the question and carry on as normal.
    Like I said in the post, that is exactly what I am worried about. I don't bot but there are times when I click the 5 or 10 min farm timer and then tab back over to my work. After re-tabbing back to the game, twice now, I have barely answered the question before time ran out. If this only stopped botters, I'd 100% be for it. But I can definitely see potential for this to wrongly punish people who weren't botting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Slover View Post
    Like I said in the post, that is exactly what I am worried about. I don't bot but there are times when I click the 5 or 10 min farm timer and then tab back over to my work. After re-tabbing back to the game, twice now, I have barely answered the question before time ran out. If this only stopped botters, I'd 100% be for it. But I can definitely see potential for this to wrongly punish people who weren't botting as well.
    The only way you are 'punished' is by being asked for a the answer to a question. Now based on what I know it is much better answer a question now and again (even if it is once per hours, which it isn't) than playing against someone is using a BOT to attack you and get resources via farming.

Quote Originally Posted by Saska View Post
    The only way you are 'punished' is by being asked for a the answer to a question. Now based on what I know it is much better answer a question now and again (even if it is once per hours, which it isn't) than playing against someone is using a BOT to attack you and get resources via farming.
    lol. I don't know how this seems to be so confusing. I am not upset about having to type in a captcha. And I am all for stopping botters. What I am worried about is the fact that you are given a timer to type in the captcha. If you miss a captcha are you banned for allegedly botting? I understand you can't answer this as you said even you do not know but my point remains.

To make this more clear: There are scenarios, when non-botters, can miss typing the captcha in time. If there is indeed a punishment for missing one captcha.

I think it would be much better to exclude the timer and more accurate to monitor mouse clicks. If the captcha comes up and that particular player continues to farm/build etc then likely they are a botter. But with the current system it is possible to be playing the game, get up to go to the restroom, then not see the captcha before the timer runs out.

lol. I don't know how this seems to be so confusing. I am not upset about having to type in a captcha. And I am all for stopping botters. What I am worried about is the fact that you are given a timer to type in the captcha. If you miss a captcha are you banned for allegedly botting? I understand you can't answer this as you said even you do not know but my point remains.

To make this more clear: There are scenarios, when non-botters, can miss typing the captcha in time. If there is indeed a punishment for missing one captcha.

I think it would be much better to exclude the timer and more accurate to monitor mouse clicks. If the captcha comes up and that particular player continues to farm/build etc then likely they are a botter. But with the current system it is possible to be playing the game, get up to go to the restroom, then not see the captcha before the timer runs out.
    The timer is to give you time to input the value before it forces you to, so for example if you where about to launch an attack you could enter the value early so it does not pop up just before you launch your attack and interfere with it.

Any chance either to remove these captchas or add an audible? I'm visually impaired (tritanopy) and captchas are real pain for me. I often need to ask someone to enter one for me, and it really makes this game much less fun.

In the end having constantly enter captchas (I'm online like 24/7) makes me want to quit playing alltogether. You really punish many legit players just to catch a few botters. Please think again about it.

Ultimately this implementation of the Captcha comes down to preventing players using bots. Yes, this may inconvenience some players but the alternative is doing nothing and allowing players to cheat by using bots to farm and launch attacks which put other players at a severe disadvantage.

While I understand that not all players will appreciate the fact that from time to time they will be entering a Captcha when prompted to in-game, this is a case of 'Damned if we do, damned if we don't.'

Hi Slover,

To clarify, without going in to too much detail, players are not punished for incorrectly entering in a CAPTCHA, or missing a CAPTCHA. The system is designed to flag accounts who are potentially breaking the rules, but the banning is still a human entry, and further investigation will always be carried out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aylena View Post
    Any chance either to remove these captchas or add an audible? I'm visually impaired (tritanopy) and captchas are real pain for me. I often need to ask someone to enter one for me, and it really makes this game much less fun.

In the end having constantly enter captchas (I'm online like 24/7) makes me want to quit playing alltogether. You really punish many legit players just to catch a few botters. Please think again about it.
    Hi Aylena,

I'll feed this back to the developers, because obviously we don't want to be in a position where you can not do the CAPTCHA at no fault of your own, due to your health.

Thanks,
    Richard

Phrourarch

Asking for an audio version is a completely fair demand. You can't deny any one the right to play the game just because of tritanopy. All major websites, give audio version.

"damned if we do" does an apply in this case. Maybe it would even be compulsory legally for a few countries.
    pls don't see:

You really think i will hide a good sig?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast