Open Daily Quickfire Debates!

DeletedUser

Such smooth.
So...

Taxes.
Taxes are necessary for the running of countries and as such, people should not begrudge having to pay them. Especially when these people benefit from government expenditure.

Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5819

thanks, I will reply later then :p

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I don't even know what it's at currently, NOT EVERYONE IS BRITISH OKAY? JEEZ!

DeletedUser5819

Nah, tax has been around a long time.
The romans did it.
The french royalty got their heads chopped off for it.
The Ustatesians revolted over it.
I am fairly sure the doomsday book was written for it.

Mainly taxes are to fund wars and royalty, traditionally.
Its a bit more complicated now.

DeletedUser

Tax, at least in the medieval period, wasn't a regular affair - Parliament granted (Not that they had the right to override royal prerogative.) tax subsidies only in time of extraordinary expenditure, most prominently war during said period. Entirely dissimilar to now, where it is inevitably regulated and more constant, which is a reflection of the infrastructure, public service and whatnot that we now enjoy. The government, irrespective of what people may say, cannot create capital. It can create money, yes, albeit not value, per se.

Without tax, there are two options that I can foresee:
- A totally economically-flawed welfare state in which everyone takes and no one gives.
- An individualistic capitalist nightmare with no notion of communal value.

I mean, everyone hates tax, of course they do. They also hate potholes in the road, NHS waiting times and late parcels.

DeletedUser33530

Nah, tax has been around a long time.
The romans did it.
The french royalty got their heads chopped off for it.
The Ustatesians revolted over it.
I am fairly sure the doomsday book was written for it.

Mainly taxes are to fund wars and royalty, traditionally.
Its a bit more complicated now.

Ustatesians? You trying to say Americans? :D

Anyway taxes are a necessary evil. That pretty much sums it up.

DeletedUser29066

I love it every time they spend billions for a new aircraft carrier :)

I really have no problem w. taxes except I think the corporate rate in the USA is a bit high and has helped drive business out of the country. My main gripe is when I hear of fraud and waste .. good ole pork barrel politics just makes my teeth itch.

DeletedUser33530

I agree with what's above (mostly) expect for driving business out of the country. What's driving the businesses away is our labor laws and environmental regulations. Human rights and the future of the planet mean nothing when you never have to ask what something costs.

DeletedUser

what Britain needs to do not so much america. Is what the British governor of Hong Kong once did which is massively drop all taxes rates. This will encourage both rich people and business to move to Britain giving us a smaller piece of a much bigger pie. The only probelm is it will take two elections to work so no politician will have the guts to do it.

DeletedUser

Time for a new Daily Quickfire Debate topic?

Given perfect health either way... would you rather live 20 years with vast wealth.... or 80 years dirt poor?

DeletedUser29066

Ah heck, you know the old saying .. "Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse!":D

Already way too late for me.

DeletedUser

would depend on how you could live your life, IE. alone? then no. with someone? then yes. travelling the world on foot? sure. stuck in the slums, then no, etc.

DeletedUser44426

I could do alot in 20 years. Why would I want to live 80 years and have no effect on the world whatsoever? No, I would want to live the fast life.