Rejected Fix fireships

Would you like to see this idea implemented?

• Yes.

Votes: 49 64.5%
  • No.

Votes: 27 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser20429

Also I can build 35 biremes for a max warehouse in 35h or I can make 37 Fireships in 15h which am I going to build?

DeletedUser

Fireships advantages:
1. cheaper than birems
2. build way faster than birems
3. are guaranteed to take out an attacking ls
Now, you don't want them to have some sort of disadvantage? If you remove the disadvantages, then we have the perfect weapon? Not a real choice then...

Fireships are slower than birems, so they hit a bit later than birems. The commanding admiral of defending ships decided to not let the incoming armada get to close to the city, he fears the mighty weapons of the light ships will torch the city from the water. No, he decided to hit fast the enemy... moving from one side to another, knowing his birems are faster than those light ships. In this time, his fireships, that could have been spoted easily because their slow, set sail to the remaining of the enemy armada while the enemy is busy with the fast birems....

Did you liked my story? I did. And see, reasons why the fire ships go last.

Yes, they have disadvantages.
But think on how the attacker feels when the defender only builds fire ships. THe attacker knows that he can't match the build speed of those coffins, a ls lost will be recovered in 2:40:55 in a lvl 20 harbor, while the fireship that suicided to sink that ls will be recovered in only 0:44:42, 4 times faster.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser23986

Poor idea, fire ship are meant to suicide last, there only purpose is to destroy enemies ls so that they can't attack anyone else!

DeletedUser20429

No! What greek captain would let an enemy CS come waltzing in????? So let them take out Transports and CS's and HYDRA's! Too

DeletedUser23986

I said their purpose, that is suiciding themselves to reduce enemies ls.If you don't like it, don't built it.

Else, why will we not use them for attack?

DeletedUser

Their purpose was actually as an offensive ship, to be sent in before the rest of the ships, to take out the main defences, so their in-game use is hardly historically accurate.

DeletedUser

I dont' see fire ships going in front of those light ships and torching them to oblivion though...
Imagine this.
Spotter: "Sir! there's a wall of fire ships coming at us!"
Captain: "What's that? They're sending fire ships at us first? They must have had one too many city festivals... Destroy the ones in the middle! they're way too slow to reach us before being gutted out!!' (We can always turn around and get away if they get too close..)

So, The light ships rain fire at the centre of the wall of fire ships, sinking them. They rush through the void created while few of the light ships sink the rest of them that move to cover the gap.

But this is beside the point. Fire ships have their advantages but also their disadvantages; like all of the other vessels in grepolis. By implementing this, I'm afraid, we would have an 'ideal defensive ship' that you could park in your harbours and manufacture on a production line. Biremes would lose their value significantly and used only for support

DeletedUser

The fire ships embody the concept of the "last ditch" defense. They attack last because they are more of a barrier than an active defense. The key to this is realizing that they are there in the final stages of attack when most of the Light Ship nukes have hit and your biremes are depleted.

They are slow; if anyone sends light ships for support, they will probably be supporting a fallen city. They can be produced (relatively quickly) by the city under attack, when the biremes are gone, to cost the attacker a few LS. In a better practice, they can be used to blunt light ship nukes and provide time for bireme support to arrive and deter smaller nuisance attacks. They will not sink the transports or CS, so they simply make the attack more expensive for the attacker. They do not and cannot replace biremes.

DeletedUser

Bad idea, and no the fire ships should not be able to take out transports, colony ships, and Hydras as well as have an advantage against LS. One Fire Ship is lost per LS, that's a BP ratio of 8:10 (in favor of the defender), so if you hit 250 FS with 250 LS; the attacker gets 2k ABP, and the defender gets 2.5k DBP. This is even in higher advantage to the defender if triremes are used in offense, as the ratio becomes 8:16.

Placing the Fire Ships ahead of Biremes at this stage, while it sounds tactically brilliant (for a defender anyway); would make revolt worlds far harder for attackers than they currently are, and trying to take out sieges in conquest worlds will probably be worse. They have their advantanges and disadvantages for a reason, and if you start mucking around with those settings; you will end up changing the game too much, and the developers will scrap it even if it manages to get the benefit of a vote.

DeletedUser

Likes..but maybe it would be even better when there's a limit before the fire ships would engage..

In real life if only one ship would show up, not ALL fireships would be set on fire...
The biremes woudl engage and destroy the one ship without casualties..
However if a fleet of ships would be sighted, they'd be set on fire and would precede the biremes..

Any implementation would be with a set limit...(Engage if over [ ] ships..)...if the fleet would be small the fire ships would not be used..
Also...the fire ships would have the capacity to light more than one ship..oil would go burning on the water..etc..

maybe a new naval system would be better, with the ability to send troops onto ships...an empty transport ship would not be able to do anything, while a transport filled with combatants would be able to destroy a target ship, or maybe even take it over..

If ur gonna upgrade the naval system, might as well do it completely..

And on that same subject...transfering troops from one city to another...if they are both yours (not allied or something..)

And how about troop rallying points ? for naval warfare ? (and or land warfare..) ?

if you send troop now to a city from two seperate they'd be calculated as two separate attacks..
A priority system for warfare would be nice too..(the ability to send one part of troops first...like slingers first+hoplites, followed by cavalry charge flank or thrust..in other words...a real battle system..maybe with the ability to perform some instruting when online..)

Anyway..I like the basic idea, but think about the rest I said here..

DeletedUser24356

I agree with ZMacZ your men would not just sit on a bench twiddling their thumbs waiting for the ship to reach the bay they should jump into action like a real greek/roman army would they could also try to take over an enemy ship and start attacking and also i think there should be an research for transport ships in the academy called cannons and that research (which you can probably guess) puts a few cannons on transport ships(3?,4?) it would men attack and help destroy other ships before going into combat with other ships and slingers archers and catapults should attack other ships as they have ranged weapons and i also think this game (whether a premium feature or not) should have some way to make an attack and defense formation it would greatly improve the overall attack and defense of the game and players would be able to have a better attack/defense with that (The current attack and defense way makes no sense to to me.).(SH):heh:(D)(SW):heh:
-chris0:pro:
P.S. if I should make new idea please private message me.:)

DeletedUser18705

AoE is so right. You can't mess with boats too much. Everything has it's advantages and disadvantages. You try to mess with that too much and you end up with some bad things happening. For instance what if I were to send a bunch of transports containing one troops at a city full of fireships and the fireships enganged? There goes that. And you're making there no need for biremes. Everything you said here the biremes can do just at a slightly less ratio. Fireships are to kill LS and triremes and if it's a conquest world and they're sending it along with their CS for it to be support afterwards fireships even kill biremes. They have a big enough advantage as it is.

DeletedUser19043

I agree with the idea. It would make it more realistic.
When I was a newbie I built fireships to defend a CS and when I woke up thinking I had done a good job defending the CS, I realised I'd been conquered. I'll never make that mistake again LOL

DeletedUser22940

Yes, please. Let's start making the useless units worth something. Yes 300% on this. Should be a fairly simply update....

DeletedUser

Id like the game to be more REALISTIC when it comes to sea def Who Wants to Lose all their Briememes First when they have Fire Ships to use.

Realistic? Realistically, fire ships are used as a last ditch effort to destroy the enemy fleet. You do realise that Fire Ships are the equivalent to Kamekazis, so any good commander wouldn't suicide his men before the main battle just to increase his chances. Fire Ships do need an improvement to make them more worthwhile and attractive but not what you are suggesting.

I think this is a valid point, fire ships would have been used before hand to minimize losses of men. This would be a very good change!

Umm, how? See above. You're losing more men by suiciding them prior to the battle and their 1:1 ratio means more die more often.

Also I can build 35 biremes for a max warehouse in 35h or I can make 37 Fireships in 15h which am I going to build?

They're faster to produce because they battle differently. You will always lose fire ships at a 1:1 ratio but biremes can survive at much higher ratios.

Status
Not open for further replies.