Global Warming

Do you believe Global Warming is man-made or natural?

• Total voters

DeletedUser

but all i wanted to get across was the way the stats are presented. and that when you take a step back (or a few million steps) the picture looks quite different. the situation of rising temperatures and CO2 levels may not be good for us as a species, but for the earth it's just another day in the life, so to speak.

A lot of what science is involves heavy use of statistics. Its basic to limit statistics to reliable numbers and to present the data in a way that can give viewers a good sense of shape and spread. I actually read through a part of the blog that your first graph was stored on and the fellow criticized the fact that this graph's y-axis value does not have a y-min of 0

global-co2-levels-exaggerated.png

Which shows a gross misunderstanding of Statistics...
global-co2-levels.png

In this graph a viewer would have no impression of the spread of data that is there...Anybody can add unnessescary value to either axis to misrepresent the data as he has, the point IS to present the data in a way that people can see the shape, spread, and where applicable the skew.

But you weren't arguing against that, you were arguing that scientists shouldn't misrepresent the present situation? Here's the quote you didn't look at

• Present evidence suggests that temperatures at many, but not all, individual locations were higher during the past 25 years than any period of comparable length since A.D. 900. However, uncertainties associated with this statement increase substantially backward in time.
  • Very little confidence can be assigned to estimates of hemisphere average or global average temperature prior to A.D. 900 due to limited data coverage and challenges in analyzing older data.

This doesn't change the fact that in Earth's past CO2 levels were much higher, but this overlooks the entire atmosphere's composition(Yes there is more than CO2!) in the past and how those ecosystems could uniquely cope with their climates. Sadly, modern ecosystems don't necessarily have the same capabilities or adaptations to survive the dramatic climate change we're introducing, and the fact that Earth has survived through mass extinctions before doesn't justify the creation of a new mass extinction, or should I say "another day in life" that involves the destruction of Earth's ecosystems and the sustainability of human civilization.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I believe it's man made, since we put up smoke and don't use to much renewable energies( but we should be) but natural occurences speed it up.

DeletedUser

Where's the option "Global Warming is not currently an active factor in Climate Change?"

cuz it's fake. not happening. all those who claim it's real have vested interests or have been mislead by those with vested interests.

DeletedUser

According to some -rep I got- unsigned of course- It's all a conspiracy. I don't know why people would do that. Maybe to try and stop us spending money? Or to make our lives a missery with worry? Or even just because, you kniw, that's "apparently" what governments do. :rolleyes:

DeletedUser

yea same. :S

It clearly isn't a conspiracy... Sure the global temperature naturally fluctuates etc, but the ice capt melting etc, that is because of us. We are stretching out planet to the very limit in every aspect, and need to do something about it now.

DeletedUser

"Public perception of climate change has steadily fallen since late 2009. A Rasmussen Reports public opinion poll from August noted that 57 percent of adults believe there is significant disagreement within the scientific community on global warming, up five points from late 2009.

The same study showed that 69 percent of those polled believe it’s at least somewhat likely that some scientists have falsified research data in order to support their own theories and beliefs. Just 6 percent felt confident enough to report that such falsification was "not at all likely."
"

DeletedUser

My personal opinion-

I believe Global Warming is natural due to the history of the earth. The cycles it goes through are 100% normal. Can anyone say "Ice Age"? After the ice caps melt , they will begin to freeze right back up.

Possibly not in the same place, however. I a believer in Earth Crust Displacement. Thusly, the poles will re-freeze in a different area as the previous set of poles melts.

However, I do believe that heavy pollution et cetera is speeding things up by a great factor. We don't have to be writing our own doom, do we?

Nintz

P.S. Earth Crust Displacement is a complex theory that would take far too long to explain. If you want to learn about it, just Google it.

DeletedUser

yea same. :S

It clearly isn't a conspiracy... Sure the global temperature naturally fluctuates etc, but the ice capt melting etc, that is because of us. We are stretching out planet to the very limit in every aspect, and need to do something about it now.

Nha it's happened (the melting caps causing fluctuating sea levels) plenty of times before in human history. the only difference is that the impact on us is about a million times bigger at this point. Cos of science and stuff.:cool:

The icecaps will melt, and the sea level will rise.
fluttershy-deal-with-it-(n1302578884343).png

DeletedUser

Possible misconception here: the primary reason for the sea level rising will be because of thermal expansion, not because melting ice packs.

I thought this was a really cool site btw :D.

DeletedUser

I think it's natural, but last night my wife told me "EVERYTHING" was my fault, so I could be wrong.

DeletedUser

K guys , Imma get all scientifike hear , so turn away , you mihgt get bored
¨
Its a fusion of both EVILS ... global warming is a naturel occurance ... as you al know Its melting the caps , with will destroy the GOLF stream , thus colling the world , then an Ice AGE , this HAS happened before , but Us humans are meerely acceleration the phenomenom, U all know how , and when the time comes EArth will go into a new Ice-age , And In my radical opinion , history will recomence , another dominant speece will evolve on the earth, may be decnedents of humans , or might be ants ... and then It'll happen again until earth is destroyed by something out there ...

DeletedUser

The idea of global warming is man-made, but global warming does not exist. The Earth will never destroy itself. That's impossible and to say it used to be a ball of gas is too ignorant seeing as how evidence to support that theory does not exist. Same with the Big Bang which defies almost every known law of science. Evolution is a hoax (yes, I believe that, don't criticize me) created to demoralize people and make them believe that we don't have to be accountable to anything. The hoax is used to teach that humanity should not care about itself.

Saying more of my own opinions would offend too many more people so I stop here.

DeletedUser

The idea of global warming is man-made, but global warming does not exist. The Earth will never destroy itself. That's impossible and to say it used to be a ball of gas is too ignorant seeing as how evidence to support that theory does not exist. Same with the Big Bang which defies almost every known law of science. Evolution is a hoax (yes, I believe that, don't criticize me) created to demoralize people and make them believe that we don't have to be accountable to anything. The hoax is used to teach that humanity should not care about itself.

Saying more of my own opinions would offend too many more people so I stop here.
Right the sun will :(

DeletedUser

K guys , Imma get all scientifike hear , so turn away , you mihgt get bored
¨
Its a fusion of both EVILS ... global warming is a naturel occurance ... as you al know Its melting the caps , with will destroy the GOLF stream , thus colling the world , then an Ice AGE , this HAS happened before , but Us humans are meerely acceleration the phenomenom, U all know how , and when the time comes EArth will go into a new Ice-age , And In my radical opinion , history will recomence , another dominant speece will evolve on the earth, may be decnedents of humans , or might be ants ... and then It'll happen again until earth is destroyed by something out there ...

You started off pretty good, but I doubt the human race will go extinct. We;re probably the most technologically advanced beings that have ever lived on this planet and I'm sure we'll find a way to survive.

Global warming does exist, as there is clear proof of an increasingly higher average temperature. Global warming does not 'destroy' the earth. It's a cycle that this planet undergoes. I don't know who said that the earth used to be a ball of gas, but that is irrelevant anyways.
And if you could substantiate you claim that evolution is a hoax I would be happy to rebuke it. :) My guess is that you are religious?

DeletedUser

And in what way will evolution demoralise us? How can coming up with a (almost) provable theory demoralise us, unless it's all a conspiracy by them? Anyhow, the big bang does not "defy almost all know laws of science" it's entirly possable and is why it's known as a scientific theory and not a religious belief.

And stingblade, I totaly hope ants take over :D