P&P - Don't join ANY alliance until you read this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser657

* According to Dunbar's research, in order to retain the intimacy of a band (which is similar to that of an alliance), up to 35 people could be present in a group. For the above facts, alliances with over 40 people have been categorized as a mass-recruitment alliance. Facts were accurate on 21/1/09
Actually this is quite wrong. Dunbars number is 150((rounded off))
So what your saying is incorrect.
Anyone mocking this deserves half a slap on the wrist fro thinking he made up the research.
Though half a pat on the back for attacking it. ^^

DeletedUser

My personal experience by plaing games for years and running clans is that 60 is the limit for a wel oiled battle machine. (however that depends per game)

with 40-60 members average of inactives is aprox 1-2 anytime.

now with 90 members this increases incremental and is already at 10-15 inactives.

A 400 man alliance ends up to 1/3rd plus, of inactive players and weekend players.

darkdragonfinal.jpg

DeletedUser657

My personal experience by plaing games for years and running clans is that 60 is the limit for a wel oiled battle machine. (however that depends per game)

with 40-60 members average of inactives is aprox 1-2 anytime.

now with 90 members this increases incremental and is already at 10-15 inactives.

A 400 man alliance ends up to 1/3rd plus, of inactive players and weekend players.

darkdragonfinal.jpg

400 member leagues make easier targets to farm :p
Juicy farms in the end.
But yeah, 40-60 is normally the prime number for a decent tribe that you can manage.
Wings are odd things, a bit like a vassal. However you can't let them grow too big otherwise they try to take over.

DeletedUser

Having just reviewed the above statistics and combined them with the active number of forum posters, I have found that if you take the square root of the subsequent answer on a Tuesday, then the add the totally pointless and irrational posts, you will, without doubt, have realised that I don't give a drachma for this thread.
I prefer small, motivated and 100% active alliances, others prefer cumbersome pointwhoring alliances:) (only joking...please don't Nuke me...lol). Its up to you what/who you join....who cares!!

DeletedUser

* According to Dunbar's research, in order to retain the intimacy of a band (which is similar to that of an alliance), up to 35 people could be present in a group.

Out of genuine curiosity, how was this measured?

DeletedUser

* According to Dunbar's research, in order to retain the intimacy of a band (which is similar to that of an alliance), up to 35 people could be present in a group.

A few of his numbers:
cliques : 5
sympathy groups: 12 - 15
Bands : up to 35
Tribes: 147.8

I was referring to a band, not a tribe. His number on bands is made through observing "ethnographic literature".

DeletedUser

Can I just establish that you're using ethnographic research that relates to social group cohesion to make an argument that tribes with a membership over an arbitrary number X are mass recruiters and tribes that fall below this figure are not?

Once you've confirmed that I can start laughing, very hard.

DeletedUser

We already gave him the non official title of Forum Jester , so no harm in laughing.

darkdragonfinal.jpg

DeletedUser

I don't know how you define mass recruiting alliance Pax Britannia but DDW sure doesn't belong on that list. Take a look at the average points per player and you should get an idea of the skill of DDW players but more than that look at the battle points leaders today now that people are emerging from newbie protection. The only thing DDW does en masse is kill their neighbours troops. If you think we would take just about anyone why don't you apply?

DeletedUser

hmmm after thinking a bit more on it...

It all starts to make sense now

The real reason is, that Pax Britannia doesn't find members for his alliance as they are all settled in one or another alliance.

darkdragonfinal.jpg

DeletedUser

This Pax Britannia is a 440 points guy in a 3 ppl alliance... it's like Spounge Bob's Plankton!

and if he doesn't merge, join a big alliance or organize something very fast, he gonna lose: FACT!

That's the why he's mad ;)

DeletedUser

This Pax Britannia is a 440 points guy in a 3 ppl alliance... it's like Spounge Bob's Plankton!

and if he doesn't merge, join a big alliance or organize something very fast, he gonna lose: FACT!

That's the why he's mad ;)

why you think ha has 3 members in his allaince ;) :p

DeletedUser

yo pax, it's better mass recruiting players, then mass recruiting alliances.

DeletedUser

Storyline of IAC.

Step 1. Recruit every alliance interested with under 35 members.
Step 2. Wait for members to show results
Step 3. Remove alliances with 36+ members.
Step 4. Rinse and repeat(Mandatory).

Fact: The top alliances will never be allowed to join.

Fact: IAC membership size will never exceed 35x, where "x" is the number of alliances.

Fact: IAC members have proven that bands do not need to know how to play instruments.

DeletedUser

Step 1. Recruit every alliance interested with under 35 members.
Step 3. Remove alliances with 36+ members.
Fact: The top alliances will never be allowed to join.
Fact: IAC membership size will never exceed 35x, where "x" is the number of alliances.

Item 12 in the IAC's constitution can waive the 35 member limit

Item 12: Restriction of Alliance Size - All alliances must have at least 4 members before joining the IAC, unless it is with Type 1 Approval. Item 12(a): Restriction of Alliance Size - All alliances must have less than 35 members, unless it is waived with a Type 1 request
Type 1 Request: Approval is granted if more than 99% of Representatives agree. President may vote twice, on in the role as a representative, and one in the role of the president.
Fact: IAC members have proven that bands do not need to know how to play instruments.

Most bands can't

DeletedUser

Quote:
Type 1 Request: Approval is granted if more than 99% of Representatives agree. President may vote twice, on in the role as a representative, and one in the role of the president.

That will be easier to obtain the 99% than most people think.

In fact most approval will be an unbelievable 200%!

example: An alliance meeting above reqs. goes to a vote. Pax loves them, pax is happy someone actually applied, Pax votes as representative +1, Pax votes as pres +1.

1+1=2/1 (only one representative)=200%

AIC then fails do to such a high demand on leadership to manage more than 3 people....

Edit: Reminded by mdshare: Due to ITEM 12 on Pax's list he will need special approval for even his alliance to remain in the AIC due to the minimum 4 player/alliance rule. (He only has 3)

darkdragonfinal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Got to agree with the OP, with no restrictions on memberships of the alliances it makes a running mock of the system. Whereas, in games with restrictions, mass recruitment doesn't work.

It does really only spoil the game somewhat as there will be those kicked up and farmed as a result by their own alliance.

As this is mainly a test world I suppose it doesn't matter as much but mass recruitment such as is happening DOES kind of spoil the game to a certain extent.

DeletedUser

*fact* 83% of people who make up statistics use the number 83.

* ted moseby (how i met your mother)

sorry i just wanted to fit in lol

Status
Not open for further replies.