Should the government have a say in our diets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

The government should have some say, but not so much as to prohibit us from drinking a harmless drink like soda every once in a while. This is a free country (i am in the US) that was formed to escape an un-free country. If you want to ruin your life by drinking soda, or eating fatty foods (in the pursuit of happiness as written in the constitution), then they should be allowed to. If what they do harms others, then that should not be allowed, because that would prevent those other people from pursuing happiness, therefore that person would be breaking the constitution of the United Stats of America!

Other than in America (where i have already stated my case), people should be allowed to eat what they like. The government should make it harder to get such stuff by putting high taxes on foods deemed fatty, and advertising (with the money made from the taxes) healthy foods.
For places that sell fatty foods, the rent or cost for their lot would be higher than the average, making them not gain as much money, therefore preventing them from advertising as much. But, technically this would not be prohibiting anybody from eating the food, just making it harder to get, therefore violating no constitutional right of any American or people of another nation.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4013

The government should have some say, but not so much as to prohibit us from drinking a harmless drink like soda every once in a while. This is a free country (i am in the US) that was formed to escape an un-free country. If you want to ruin your life by drinking soda, or eating fatty foods (in the pursuit of happiness as written in the constitution), then they should be allowed to. If what they do harms others, then that should not be allowed, because that would prevent those other people from pursuing happiness, therefore that person would be breaking the constitution of the United Stats of America!

I believe that the exact phrase you are referring to: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." is actually the preamble to the American Declaration of Independence, and is not therefore a law or a constitutional right.

DeletedUser

It makes more sense to me that if governments wanted a healthier societies, they should be swinging their food ban axes at the producers of the foods. Laws like NYs "soda tax" and NYCs "no 16oz soda sales" are simply a way of taxing (both in the wallet and in the morale of the people) Why not restrict what is put into the product before it gets shipped? Things like "pink slime" and the HFCS could be limited to percentages. Why impede on the rights of consumers when you can make changes before it gets to them? If it's not in the ingredients, consumers can't buy it......if you get me......just sayin....

Status
Not open for further replies.