The Refugee (Defined)

DeletedUser32527

I wouldn't say that that player was a refugee. A refugee completely depends on the alliance support and is normally a weaker player/ sim city player. This player obviously knew what he was doing and maybe wanted the attacks for the BP as a strategy to gain more cities and survive. Maybe this is an extremely clever player who knew when to call it quits and decided that survival meant joining alliance. I believe everything worked out for him in the end and he got BP which we all wish for :).

DeletedUser

Me personally consider a refugee a person who is under city takeover and decides to hope in an alliance screaming for support, some people think just because they have been farming a person, or attacked them a few times if they join an alliance they are a refugee which i believe isn't true anyone can get farmed, and anyone can get attacked even people in alliances does that make them a refugee? but to continue it's always best for alliances to have a refugee policy either 48-72 hrs if that person still has their city they should no longer be considered a refugee but refugee claims should always be investigated to insure that person is a refugee. And i also agree that a person who leaves their alliance because of respectable reasons should not be considered a refugee because they can go where they please it's their choice if they feel another alliance would be better for them

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser12667

Refugee status is something noobs focus on. I will gladly take any refugee and support him/her as soon as they join my alliance. It is when they dont return the favor is when they get the boot. Maybe my outlook would be different if I cared what another alliance thought of me, or if I was worried about being attacked and loosing cities. But diplo is not my area of worry, so the care of upsetting an alliance that may end up giving me awesome DBP is kinda overtalked. So if I loose a few cities from attacks from PACT'd alliances then so be it. It is easy to be tough when another alliance that is tougher has green flags:(

I would take an alliance full of refugees over an alliance PACT'd with the world anyday. Both may be cowards, but at least mine is not surviving by befriending the possible threats in the world.

DeletedUser

Another question to the "panel"
Lets say we have a player who has been screwing over a lot of people, ticked off a lot of Alliances (pretty much every one he was in so far). And finally they say it's enough and organize attacks against his cities. As his "current" Alliance was the latest victim of his scams and manipulations they decided to ditch him.
Now he is without Alliance and all his enemies decide to strike. Somewhere in the communication there must have been a weak link (which can happen of course) and he got wind of the impending attacks.
And now comes the fun part...
While being without an Alliance lets say he is bombarded by spells from a two Alliances while the others organize the LS and ground attacks. He then asks another Alliance to join which they agree on and goes on Vacation mode (which I know, must have been enacted 48 hours earlier so most likely as soon as he heard about the imminent attacks).
When talking with the new Alliance they agree to not protect him for say, a week. Now the question is ...
This week of not protecting him is absolutely useless if he is in vacation mode. Just out of curiosity, what would your opinion be?

DeletedUser

I would boot him and write him the message that he can reapply when he gets out of VM. He obviously did not give the alliance he joined all the info, and failed to mention that he had activated VM.

DeletedUser

I find it detestable that new recruits to any alliance don't receive protection for TWO WEEKs in some alliances, lets have a example using our Alliances recruitment policy (1000+, active, work as a team), a newb with 1100 points joins the alliance, first day he joins some bigger player attacks, so we are supposed to just sit there and watch him get farmed for two weeks?

No, we protect our members.

We founded the Zygeth Confederation.

DeletedUser

I want to add to this. When I started a city, I was told I was going to become a farm...about a week or so...no attacks came from the "talent turtles" so once talks with a friend about me joining their alliance became stone, I lashed out at them. I cleared each of them except for the biggest player on my island. Easy...they fell like a sack of hammers. Two players ghosted after I hit them. My friend and me had a Personal Alliance, I got no alliance support...I got a Personal Alliance support, which was formed when I joined the server.

Nio. was the only real threat to me...and that was if I didn't have an army, which I did. I dodged the first attacks with no losses, once my friend's troops landed, I let them crash into the wall of men. All I can say is...I loved the BP they gave me. Opened my third city slot in one day...it was great!

DeletedUser

You know I see alot of people who have been gaming this system for a long time chimming in on this subject. lets try an experiment go to one of the new worlds and run your city with out any support for the life of the world then come back and offer your story. refugees are not allways those who cause problems but timed into a game after the alliances have allready been decided.

DeletedUser

You know I see alot of people who have been gaming this system for a long time chimming in on this subject. lets try an experiment go to one of the new worlds and run your city with out any support for the life of the world then come back and offer your story. refugees are not allways those who cause problems but timed into a game after the alliances have allready been decided.

I agree with what you said, also every player who starts this game is a refugee at some stage, the whole point in alliances is to act as as safety net people join alliances for the reason on needing safety in numbers be it from being attacked while on there own or while waiting for an alliance to join.
If an alliance is going to brake there pact just because you have taken in a refugee etc is that pact really worth keeping?
This is why so many people have the intention to play this game but then quit because of topics and actions like this thread that makes getting farmed constantly a pain and no fun, surly as a cummunity you players who say no to refugees would benifit from new players etc sticking around rather than quitting, more players= more loot which = more fun so on and so on.

DeletedUser21774

Internal Refugees: (Thanks to Roaring Whisper)

An Internal Refugee can be any player who leaves their alliance due to getting attacked/conquered from their own alliance members and seeks protection elsewhere.

Usually happens for the following reasons:
1) A player going inactive, gets attacked/conquered by alliance members, then returning and leaving due to objections over the attacks/conquers;
2) A player severely breaching rules or discovered as a spy;
3) A player conquering an unauthorised town from another member, then having the town forcibly taken over by their alliance;
4) Other alliance authorised reasons.​

Another reason players can become "Internal Refugees" - a disreputable MRA declares a rule that after any unsuccessful OP, 5 players at random are selected to be cannibalized (an incentive for players to actively engage upon orders).

This happened in one game I was in, and all parties were received without prejudice and defended by whichever alliance would have them.

DeletedUser46414

to start a war over something as silly as a active player (refugee) joining alliance when he is holing his own in the first place
if a player is being attacked and asked for help as we all started some where is being friends
but if he is being attacked and joins a alliance it is called a refugee
also if he is being attacked and his alliance is not helping him why can't he leave and seek out a new alliance
this refugee is just a reason to start a war and is silly
and made up if we all went around and attacked each other in the real world because he was a refugee there would be no one left
this is what I have to say on the matter
I hope it make you all think and I know I will get attacked for saying it but hay ho

DeletedUser44027

Here's the deal. You're attacking someone, and your CS is in their harbour (in conquest). Then, all of a sudden, they switch sides you can't take e city anymore. Refugees are annoying, so many alliances outlaw them.

DeletedUser46414

that I under stand but if he tells the alliance that he is under attack and why I still say it is wrong to turn them away
also if you are in a small alliance and they go inactive you are saying tough they are to give in playing
in one world I was playing in our leader gave up and the alliance was under attack I emailed the attacker and asked if I can join them instead now i have 4 citys
same for a diff world in that one I now have 5 citys
just remember a active player is better than 10 not playing the game
again that is my point and anyone is welcome to join me if I got room :)

DeletedUser30636

that I under stand but if he tells the alliance that he is under attack and why I still say it is wrong to turn them away
also if you are in a small alliance and they go inactive you are saying tough they are to give in playing
in one world I was playing in our leader gave up and the alliance was under attack I emailed the attacker and asked if I can join them instead now i have 4 citys
same for a diff world in that one I now have 5 citys
just remember a active player is better than 10 not playing the game
again that is my point and anyone is welcome to join me if I got room :)
so your trying to defend refugees? what if a refugee joins your alliance and you accept them and support them, then they get back on their feet and leave, refugees are dangerous thing to play with also if a player cant hold his own for 24-48 hours why would you want them in your alliance. refugee policies do two things they test the players strength and you save your defense because you wont be blindly giving someone resources that could easily turn on the alliance.

DeletedUser46442

Yeah, Some refugees will offer to be spies in your alliance, so the attacker stops attacking him, this usually happens during war.

DeletedUser46414

so you are saying that if a small alliance is being attacked but one player is not but he is the only one left he can not move to a diff alliance I now have a large group but if they did not take me in (now have 4 citys) I was ment to die and start again
and still be classed as a refugee
it is all down to the big praying on the weak or the bullies finding a way to pick on people
and classing it as refugee
I do understand about spies but anyone can join and spy on a alliance but again a active player in a alliance is better than 10 that are not

DeletedUser30636

if he wasnt being attacked he wouldnt be a refugee? if your attacking someone with say a 4000 point city and hes not in an alliance, first stage revolt is about to end and they join an alliance and suddenly you either have to stop or you lose your CS because he chose to hide behind bigger people at the last minute. all that does is give more advantage to the defender and lets be honest we dont need any more of that.

DeletedUser37948

seriously i giggle when i read this thread. defining refuge status :)))))

its very simple, refugee status is not manditory at best its an honer code and very suseptable to interpritation.

ultimatly it boils down to this if its a useless noob who is a refugee then its most likely that all will agree to refugee status but if its a seriously good player or a personal freind then no amouunt of moaning or screaming about being dishonerable will make the slightest diferance.
here ends the the humanist enterpiritation of refugee status

DeletedUser

I found this thread the other day and I was glad for it. Our alliance has been going through some refugee issues recently (with a different alliance) and being able to see how other players have dealt with it in the past and present, and other players attitudes are on it have been quite helpful. This is an excellent write up and I really do appreciate all of the comments here about this subject, it is good to get perspective outside your own little world :D Keep up the good work!