World map

DeletedUser2663

Since the alliance is included in the data it should not be too difficult to adapt the program to plot the top ten alliance with the push of a button, but I have the feeling that it is not really worthwile to publish a map every two weeks for there are no major changes every two weeks. Yea I guess thats true. But there would be exceptions such as merges and disbandment that would call for a new map of course. Shouldnt be much of a strain as the top aliances in gamma seem rather stable.

Maybe we can use this forum to work out some ideas of what would be good to have, I am thinking of a world map that shows conquering activities to have an overview were war is going on. Ahh, kinda like the ones on TW. This would be great addition to the Forums.

my replies in bold

DeletedUser

Hey!

Look, if you zoom into the SW corner you can see where the Argonauts are.:cool:

SWcorner.png

All that empty grey space, although that SW brown is nearly gone.

Asperon Thorn

DeletedUser

I made a one-push-of-the-button-top-ten-alliances-world-map that takes 17 seconds to generate.

I added it to my very first post in this thread. Have fun finding the differences :)

DeletedUser

Hi Xarandir,

excellent maps, where do you get your data ?
I've been considering writing some mapping tools in VB. Is it just current data, or can you specify date related parameters ? Are you working on other related apps ? (I dont want to duplicate unnecessarily !)
Thanks,
Lok
:)

DeletedUser

Hi Xarandir,

I've been considering writing some mapping tools in VB. Is it just current data, or can you specify date related parameters ? Are you working on other related apps ? (I dont want to duplicate unnecessarily !)
Thanks,
Lok
:)

Currently my and xarandir have been collaborating to create a well made mapping tool. You can only use current data.

DeletedUser

This is where i get the data for this world from:
players

and alliances.txt, towns.txt and islands.txt.

The islansd.txt is rather big and doesnt change during the game so you should downloading it once.

The files are updated once an hour, so the best thing is to collect the data and write it into a file for quick access.

DeletedUser

The files are updated once an hour, so the best thing is to collect the data and write it into a file for quick access.

This is a good idea. The towns updated and cut my connection so I had to start over with that run :supermad:

DeletedUser

Perhaps a useful mapping option would be to show cities which had changed hands recently so as to highlight warzones ?

DeletedUser

Perhaps a useful mapping option would be to show cities which had changed hands recently so as to highlight warzones ?

That's our main issue at the moment. Coding it is not a problem...figuring out how to acurately represent each city on each island is another. It isn't clear as to how the locations of the cities on the islands are determined. If you know how, PLEASE tell us.

We know about the location numbers for the islands though. The spacing is more specifically what we need.

DeletedUser

Coding it is not a problem...figuring out how to acurately represent each city on each island is another.
I think I have this quest solved. Check this.

I made this as follows:
1) Make a print-screen of grepolis with an island of the correct type
2) Cut/paste the island to Gimp and scale to 800x800
3) Position the cursor on an island and read the coordinates of the cursor
4) scale the coordinates (which is x- y- offset) to the island scale you use for making the map (60x60 in my map)
5) use the offsets to accurately position the city when drawing the map

I did island type 1 and 7, this weekend I plan to do the other islands (i'm not a good planner tho)

DeletedUser

Yeah good idea, I was thinking the same. Actually I was thinking a step further because the data file with conquer information has a date stamp. This would make it possible to generate a series of maps with conquer information, and if you then show the maps as a sequence you get an animation of war activity.

If i can make that it would definitely be fun to look at :)

DeletedUser

you guys are pretty awesome btw i have no idea what your on about but it looks frickin awesome

DeletedUser2140

as it been updated.

i seem to see something wrong with 74.

or is it my eyesight.